"The Expert Authority You Can Trust"
FTC Disclaimer: We do receive financial compensation for some of the products we recommend and personally sell.
Cinnamon bark and cinnamon oil for yeast infections have typically been used for poor digestion, diarrhea, menstrual problems, parasites, colic and rheumatic pains.
It has been found to be deadly to drug resistant candida yeast and other fungal infections. The active ingredients are cinnamaldehyde, cinnamon oil vapors and eugenol. Preliminary human evidence confirms this effect in a clinical trial performed by doctors Quale JM, Landman D, Zaman MM, Burney S, and Sathe SS at the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in New York, three of five AIDS patients suffering from oral candida (thrush) infections improved with topical application of the oil.1
Studies performed in 1995 that where published in the European Journal of Allergy and Immunology, on allergy causing fungi and candida have shown that cinnamon oils inhalable vapors are an effective agent against Aspergillus niger, A. fumigatus, A. nidulans A. flavus, Candida
albicans, C. tropicalis, C. pseudotropicalis, and Histoplasma capsulatum.2
In 2012, published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, cinnamon oil was tested on Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei in the intestine. The oil damaged the cell surface, inside organelles were destroyed and the cells burst after treatment. The patient cure percentage was 71.67% and after 48 to 72 hours the oil killed the candida cells. The remaining 28.33% of patients all showed improvement.3
In 1997, Microbiologists Azumi S, Tanimura A, Tanamoto K at the National Institute of Health Sciences in Japan, found that cinnamon oil concentrates had antibacterial actions against Salmonella infections.4 The diterpenes in the volatile compound have shown anti-allergic activity as well. In addition, water extracts may help reduce ulcers.5
Test tube studies also show that cinnamon can augment the action of insulin and in Indian studies it was found to help control blood sugar levels.6
Cinnamon oil for yeast can be toxic to the liver so I would use it for thrush and for skin yeast only, unless the formula you are buying has been approved for internal use. You might also have to dilute in a little coconut oil because it is hot when used straight. I would test it on a tougher area of skin such as the hand before use.
If you are diabetic and are taking medications for the condition, cinnamon could lower your blood sugar levels even further, which could result in a change in your prescription. Please talk to your doctor before taking cinnamon oil for yeast infections if you have diabetes.
The powdered extracts in capsules are recommended for internal yeast infections and are perfectly safe.
Article written by Dan and edited for accuracy by Dr. Taylor
Any questions or concerns about cinnamon oil for yeast infections please feel free to contact us.
1. Quale JM, Landman D, Zaman MM, et al. In
vitro activity of Cinnamomum zeylanicum against azole resistant and
sensitive Candida species and a pilot study of cinnamon for oral
candidiasis. Am J Chin Med 1996;24:103–9.
2. Singh HB, Srivastava M, Singh AB, Srivastava AK. Cinnamon bark oil, a potent fungitoxicant against fungi causing respiratory tract mycoses. Allergy 1995;50:995–9.
3. J Tradit Chin Med. 2012 Mar;32(1):19-24. Mechanisms, clinically curative effects, and antifungal activities of cinnamon oil and pogostemon oil complex against three species of Candida.
4. Azumi S, Tanimura A, Tanamoto K. A novel inhibitor of bacterial endotoxin derived from cinnamon bark. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997;234:506–10.
5. Akira T, Tanaka S, Tabata M. Pharmacological studies on the antiulcerogenic activity of Chinese cinnamon. Planta Med 1986;(6):440–3.
6. Berrio LF, Polansky MM, Anderson RA. Insulin activity: stimulatory effects of cinnamon and brewer’s yeast as influenced by albumin. Horm Res 1992;37:225–9.
Blumenthal M, Busse WR, Goldberg A, et al. (eds). The Complete Commission E Monographs: Therapeutic Guide to Herbal Medicines. Boston, MA: Integrative Medicine Communications, 1998, 110–1.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug
Administration. The products and information contained herein are not
intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases or medical
problems. It is not intended to replace your doctor's recommendations.
Copyright © 2003 - 2019. All Rights Reserved under USC Title 17.
Do not copy content from the page or this website without my expressed written consent. To do so is Plagiarism, Not Fair Use, is illegal, and a violation of the The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.